Understanding Hazardous Materials Registration

inspector, investigator

Are you required to register with the DOT as a hazmat shipper, or carrier?

Is your company an “offeror and/or transporter” of certain quantities and types of hazardous materials?

Any business (intrastate or interstate) shipping hazardous materials requiring a U.S. DOT placard must register each year and pay the registration fee. The fees for year 2015-2016 are $250 (plus a $25 processing fee for each registration form submitted) for small businesses and non-profit organizations, and $2,575 (plus a $25 processing fee for each registration form submitted) for all others. PHMSA allows one, two and three year registrations.

The current hazardous materials certificate (here is an example for FedEx) needs to be kept in the cab of each HAZMAT vehicle at all times. If you are subject to a roadside inspection or DOT audit and do not have a current certificate, then your authority to operate will be revoked and your company could be fined up to $32,500 per each day of violation.

Register your company here.

Check your company registration if it’s current here.

Click here for more hazmat registration information.

June 30, 2015 was the registration deadline for all new and expiring hazardous materials registration certificates.

Comments are closed.