CDL Entry-level Driver Training (ELDT) Rule

truck diver

What is the Entry Level Driver Training Rule (ELDT) for CDL truck drivers?

As of Feb. 7, 2022 anyone who obtains a Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), or a School Bus (S), Passenger (P), or a Hazardous Materials (H) endorsement needs to have formal training at a listed training provider.

Are there any exceptions to the ELDT rule?

Your state may allow for the following circumstances:

  • Exception for certain military drivers. §383.3(c)
  • Exception for farmers, firefighters, emergency response vehicle drivers, and drivers removing snow and ice. §383.3(d)
  • Exception for drivers of “covered farm vehicles.” §383.3(h)
  • Drivers applying for a restricted CDL (Alaska- §383.3(e)), farm-related service industries §383.3(f), and certain drivers in the pyrotechnic industry §383.3(g)

A understanding of your state’s motor vehicle code is essential to know both the exceptions from training, if any, and the limitations of a CDL without training.

Essentially, for insurance purposes, having at least the minimum required training is looked upon by insurance underwriters as favorable to obtain reasonable insurance rates. One major insurance company likes to see at least 24 hours of hands-on, one-on-one training, plus as much or more in-class training.

Where can the required training be obtained?

The training provider needs to: 1.) meet the FMCSA’s eligibility requirements and 2.) be listed on FMCSA’s Training Provider Registry.

Thank you for reading this. ■

Picture of John Taratuta

John Taratuta, Safety & Risk Engineer, 989-474-9599