On Oct. 17, 2018 the Transport Topics’ LiveOnWeb program, “Managing Risk in Trucking” was broadcast.
- Joe DeLorenzo, director of the Office of Enforcement and Compliance at FMCSA.
- Lisa Gonnerman, vice president of safety and security at Transport America.
- Bert Mayo, director of transportation risk solutions for TrueNorth Companies.
In a Nutshell
Delorenzo talked about changes in the works on how the DOT will score trucking companies in the area of safety. The DOT will be taking a more data-based, evidence-based approach in how haulers are assessed, with the goal of prevention of safety incidents.
Gonnerman spoke on how Transport America (over 1,300 trucks and 1,500 drivers) uses the latest safety tools and technology to recruit, train and develop their workforce, from the use of driving simulators to collision avoidance technology. Her tips included the advice to invest in new safety technology, especially in the area of rear-end collisions, “There are some great products out there.”
Mayo covered some of the recent insurance industry changes in how CSA has been used in rating motor carriers. “It’s a ‘hard market.’ By that I mean, insurance premiums keep going up.”
Mayo said there are a few things companies can do to keep their premiums down:
- Manage your ‘cost of risk’ (how much you pay out of pocket)
- Do a better job of managing safety
- Take on more risk (higher deductibles)
- Look into the captive insurance market (shared losses), if your fleet’s size runs into the hundreds of trucks
Watch the Program
This is the one presentation in 2018 you do not want to miss. (Starts at 8:50)
Kudos to our good friends at Transport Topics and Protective Insurance for their sponsorship of this program. Even if you are not in the market for insurance at this time, be sure to check out all their valuable safety information and insights.
Thank you for reading this.